28th annual Cardboard Boat Regatta
9 am to 4 pm
Saturday, April 22, 2017
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
The Cardboard Boat Regatta is one of four fundraising events throughout the year that support environmental education at River Legacy Living Science Center & River Legacy Parks.
The Cardboard Boat Regatta challenges amateur boat builders – youth and adult – to design, build and navigate boats made entirely of corrugated cardboard. The crafty cardboard creations then sail (or sink!) in Hurricane Harbor’s Wave Pool as they compete for a variety of trophies. Spectators have just as much fun cheering on the courageous crews and soaking up the event-day activities. In addition to hosting this fabulous event for us, Six Flags Hurricane Harbor opens a few select rides, such as the Tornado, Tsunami Surge, Typhoon Twister and Hook’s Lagoon.
- View a photo gallery from past Regattas
- Download a Boat Building Manual to take you step by step through the process.
- Come to Regatta in style in our NEW performance Tees. Shirts can be pre-purchased online here by April 12 and shipped directly to you by event day. You can also order shirts by texting Riverlegacy to 817-369-3022.
Boat Entries (Designed & built before event day)
- Boaters must be 8 years old
- Crews can consist of 1 to 10 members
- These boat entries can also include our Class II mechanical boats, which use muscle-powered propulsion systems (propellers, paddle wheels, sails) and steering systems (rudders) that do not need to be made of cardboard.
- Winning boats awarded trophies that include Fastest Finish; Best of Show; Rah, Rah; & Titanic for most spectacular sinking
Build on Site Boats
Don’t have time to build a boat before race day? Sign up on event day for Class III Build on Site to construct a Guppy (2-person) boat in just two hours. You and your crew will receive:
- 3 pieces of cardboard
- 2 rolls of duct tape (only allowed on Build on Site boats)
- 2 sheets of plastic
- box cutter
- yard stick
- A trophy is awarded to the fastest finish
- Check out a time-lapsed Build-on-Site Video
Boat Kits – NEW!
Thanks to our generous sponsor, Harris Packaging, participants can pre-purchase a pre-cut boat kit that all you have to do is assemble, paint and decorate to make it your own theme! Boat kits can be designed for 4 to 6 crew members.
- Cost is $100
- Limited supply of 10 kits available, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Boat kits can be picked up from Harris Packaging by appointment on Saturdays.
- Order your boat kits on the entry forms, or contact Kristi Payne via e-mail or 817.860.6752, ext. 107.
Companies, groups or organizations can participate in a trio of activities to build team spirit, camaraderie and friendly competition by competing in:
- Boat races
- Horseshoes tournament
- Spikeball tournament
- In addition to individual trophies for each activity; the overall Team Challenge winners will also receive a trophy and bragging rights!
- High Schools can participate in the Team Challenge to increase their chances of winning the High School Challenge.
- Enjoy some splash time at Hook’s Lagoon
- Hula Hoop contests
- Bubble Play
- Mini-Boat Regatta
- For children ages 4 to 14
- $5 entry fee
- Race a small pinewood sailboat along a rain gutter by blowing into the sail. Pinewood sailboat kits can be purchased at Acorns Gift Shop inside River Legacy Living Science Center and built and decorated before event day.
- Sign up for the Mini-Boat Regatta
Whale Sail & Prize Cube – NEW
- Win fabulous prizes!
- Sail adopted rubber whales down the Lazy River and if yours is plucked from the finish line – you win!
- Prize Cube: Grab a whale from our prize cube and find out if yours is a winning whale.
Hurricane Harbor rides
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor is still closed for the season, but graciously host our event and open a few rides for our guests enjoyment:
- Tsunami Surge
- Typhoon Twister
- Hook’s Lagoon is included in the price of admission; ride passes for unlimited spins on the available rides can be purchased for $10.
2017 Entry Forms
- General Entry Form
- School Entry Form
- Team Challenge Entry Form (Horseshoes & Spikeball)
- 2017 Registration Waiver Download and return the waiver to participate in all events.
- Public school participants (elementary-high school) can receive 5 FREE sheets of cardboard for their entry. Download cardboard pick up dates and location here.
- Pizza Pre-Order Form. Schools & Groups can feed their hungry crew by pre-ordering pizzas for just $9 to be picked up at a Concession Area at Regatta. Deadline to order pizzas is Thursday, April 13. (Please note: No outside food or coolers are allowed inside Hurricane Harbor).
- Cardboard Boat Regatta Poster
Please consider all event fees a donation to River Legacy Foundation in case of event cancellation due to inclement weather. No refunds will be provided.
To consider a Corporate Sponsorship of Cardboard Boat Regatta, contact Fund Development Coordinator Becky Nussbaum at 817.860.6752, ext. 120. For more information about event activities and registration, contact Marketing Coordinator Kristi Payne at 817.860.6752, ext. 107. For information about volunteering at Cardboard Boat Regatta, contact Volunteer Manager Sherrie Ripple at 817.860.6752, ext. 109.
Please support our 2017 Cardboard Boat Regatta Sponsors!