River Legacy Living Science Center’s Part-Time Naturalist will work primarily under the Naturalist Manager and will be responsible for facilitating programs to diverse audiences. Programs will include Field Investigations, After School/Home School, Scout programs and Summer Classes. Other programs the Part-Time Naturalist could facilitate or assist in include Saturday family programs, venue rentals and birthday parties. Part-time Environmental Educators are responsible for helping to develop curriculum, manage program supplies, and help with special events. The part-time educators will also be expected to cross-train in Animal Care duties. This job will consist of 15 – 25 working hours a week. The number of hours could increase as new programs are developed.
- Must be willing to work a flexible schedule Monday-Friday: mornings, afternoons, evenings and every Saturday from 8:30am-5:00pm.
- Bachelor’s degree in the sciences, education, or related field
- One-year teaching experience in a formal or informal environment
- Comfortable using animals during program
- Willing to learn general animal care duties
- Update and create new curriculums
- Manage program supplies and inform coordinator when supplies are running low
- Be comfortable assisting with animal care as needed
- Assist during special events
- Assist other Naturalists with family festivals: Great Backyard Bird Count, W.A.T.E.R. festival, and Earth Day which take place on Saturday
- Lead or assist with summer classes
- Other duties as assigned
- First Aid/CPR certified
- Master Naturalist
- Certified Interpretive Guide
- Experiences with children and adults
- Bilingual in Spanish
- Animal care and handling experience
- Experience working in an environmental education/nature center
To apply, send a cover letter and a resume to Naturalist Manager Ellen Ravkind via e-mail, fax: 817.860.1595, or mail to: River Legacy Living Science Center, 703 NW Green Oaks Boulevard, Arlington, TX 76006. Please include contact information for three references. Selected candidates will be contacted for an interview.