31st Annual Cardboard Boat Regatta
Saturday, April 18, 2020
9 AM to 4 PM
Six Flags Hurricane Harbor
The Cardboard Boat Regatta is one of four fundraising events throughout the year that support environmental education at River Legacy Living Science Center & River Legacy Parks.
The Cardboard Boat Regatta challenges amateur boat builders – youth and adult – to design, build and navigate boats made entirely of corrugated cardboard. The crafty cardboard creations then sail (or sink!) in Hurricane Harbor’s Wave Pool as they compete for a variety of trophies. Spectators have just as much fun cheering on the courageous crews and soaking up the event-day activities.
We are so excited to announce that guests can enjoy live music in the Splashwater Beach section of Hurricane Harbor, just behind the Wave Pool race action. Splashwater Beach also features a variety of fun interactive water elements to enjoy while listening to local music acts.
Boat Entries (Designed & built before event day)
- Boaters must be 8 to 13 years old
- Crews can consist of 1 to 10 members
- These boat entries can also include our Class II mechanical boats, which use muscle-powered propulsion systems (propellers, paddle wheels, sails) and steering systems (rudders) that do not need to be made of cardboard.
- Winning boats awarded trophies that include Fastest Finish; Best of Show; Rah, Rah; & Titanic for most spectacular sinking
- In celebration of the Regatta’s 30th anniversary, teams that incorporate the 30th anniversary into the design or spirit cheer of their boat will receive extra points for the Rah, Rah Award!
Build on Site Boats
Don’t have time to build a boat before race day? Sign up on event day for Class III Build on Site to construct a Guppy (2-person) boat in just two hours. You and your crew will receive:
- 3 pieces of cardboard
- 2 rolls of duct tape (only allowed on Build on Site boats)
- 2 sheets of plastic
- box cutter
- yard stick
- A trophy is awarded to the fastest finish
- Watch our Build-on-Site video!
Thanks to our generous sponsor, Harris Packaging, participants can pre-purchase a pre-cut boat kit that all you have to do is assemble, paint and decorate to make it your own theme! Boat kits can be designed for 4 to 6 crew members.
- Cost is $150
- Limited supply of 10 kits available, on a first-come, first-served basis.
- Boat kits can be picked up from Harris Packaging by appointment on Saturdays.
- Order your boat kits on the entry forms, or contact Shannon Porter via e-mail or 817.860.6752, ext. 119.
High School Challenge
All high schools that enter a boat in one or more categories in the Cardboard Boat Regatta are automatically entered in the High School Challenge!
- Paint your boat in your school colors
- Make the mascot the captain of your ship
- Show your school spirit to win the Rah!Rah! Award!
- Win the High School Challenge Trophy!
- Hula Hoop contests
- Limbo contests
- Bubble Play
- Mini-Boat Regatta
- For children ages 4 to 12
- $5 entry fee
- Race a small pinewood sailboat along a rain gutter by blowing into the sail.
- Pinewood sailboat kits can be purchased at Acorns Gift Shop inside River Legacy Living Science Center and built and decorated before event day.
- Download a Mini-Boat Regatta Brochure & Registration Form
Whale Sail Raffle
- SAVE A WHALE & WIN A PRIZE!
- Everybody can win fabulous prizes!
- Download the Save a Whale Form to save your winning whales NOW!
- Do not have to be present to win.
2020 Entry Forms
- General Entry Form
- School Entry Form
- 2020 Registration Waiver – Download and return the waiver to participate in all events.
- Pizza Pre-Order Form – Schools & Groups can feed their hungry crew by pre-ordering pizzas for just $9 to be picked up at a Concession Area at Regatta. Deadline to order pizzas is Thursday, April 6. (Please note: No outside food or coolers are allowed inside Hurricane Harbor).
- School Cardboard Pickup – Public school participants (elementary-high school) can receive 5 FREE sheets of cardboard per boat entry.
Please consider all event fees a donation to River Legacy Foundation in case of event cancellation due to inclement weather. No refunds will be provided.
Interested sponsors should contact Becky Nussbaum Gerro, Director of Development at 817.860.6752, ext. 120 or email@example.com
For all other questions regarding the event, contact Shannon Porter, Event/Exhibit Manager at 817.860.6752, ext. 119 or via e-mail at firstname.lastname@example.org